Some rules about how to write for the Web:
- Use a tone of voice that reflects each brand’s personality.
- Always use plain English and avoid technical or marketing jargon.
- Use active and direct verbs to make the copy dynamic and lively.
- Use short words, sentences and paragraphs to keep the copy punchy and easy to scan.
- Use “we” and “you” to make the copy welcoming and personable in tone.
- Keep the copy short (ideally 250 words per page, up to a maximum of 500) and break it down into bite-sized chunks and paragraphs.
- Highlight key points and break up pages using bullet points.
- Use headings to introduce short paragraphs so users can decide whether they want to read these.