- Drilldown To let the user locate an item within a hierarchy, provide a dynamic drilldown.
- Microcontent Compose the page of “Microcontent” blocks – small chunks of content that can be edited in-page.
- Microlink Provide Microlinks that open up new content on the existing page rather than loading a new page.
- Popup Support quick tasks and lookups with transient Popups, blocks of content that appear “in front of” the standard content.
- Portlet Isolated blocks of content with independent conversational state.
- Live Command-Line In command-line interfaces, monitor the command being composed and dynamically modifying the interface to support the interaction.
- Live Form Validate and modify a form throughout the entire interaction, instead of waiting for an explicit submission.
- Live Search As the user refines their search query, continuously show all valid results.
- Data Grid Report on some data in a rich table, and support common querying functions.
- Progress Indicator Hint that processing is occurring.
- Rich Text Editor e.g. http://dojotoolkit.org/docs/rich_text.html
- Slider Provide a Slider to let the user choose a value within a range.
- Suggestion Suggest words or phrases which are likely to complete what the user’s typing.
- Drag-And-Drop Provide a drag-and-drop mechanism to let users directly rearrange elements around the page.
- Sprite Augment the display with “sprites”: small, flexible, blocks of content.
- Status Area Include a read-only status area to report on current and past activity.
- Virtual Workspace Provide a browser-side view into a server-side workspace, allowing users to navigate the entire workspace as if it were held locally.
- One-Second Spotlight When a page element undergoes a value change or some other significant event, dynamically manipulate its brightness for a second or so.Responded
- One-Second Mutation When a page element undergoes a value change or some other significant event, dynamically mutate its shape for a second or so.
- One-Second Motion Incrementally move an element from point-to-point, or temporarily displace it, to communicate an event has occurred.
- Blinkieblinkpattern When an element is blinking
- Highlight Highlight elements by rendering them in a consistent, attention-grabbing, format.
- Lazy Registration Accumulate bits of information about the user as they interact, with formal registration occurring later on.
- Direct Login Authenticate the user with an XMLHttpRequest Call instead of form-based submission, hashing in the browser for improved security.
- Host-Proof Hosting Server-side data is stored in encrypted form for increased security, with the browser decrypting it on the fly.
- Timeout Implement a timeout mechanism to track which clients are currently active.
- Heartbeat Have the browser periodically upload heartbeat messages to indicate the application is still loaded in the browser and the user is still active.
- Autosave Autosave un-validated forms to a staging table on the server to avoid users losing their work when their session expires if they get called away from their desk while filling out a long form.
- Unique URLs Use a URL-based scheme or write distinct URLs whenever the input will cause a fresh new browser state, one that does not depend on previous interaction.
From Ajaxpatterns.org Some of the items/links in the original source have been removed, this is the list as copied on April 14, 2010