Notes from Beyond Card Sorting: Research Methods for Organizing Content Rich Web Sites Run Amok, IA 2010 summit talk by Michael Hawley; slides on slideshare
- Free listing; participants think of what comes to mind for a given domain/topic; > frequency analysis; identify most important/salient items; can help sampling cards for card sort; get first ideas for taxonomy/labels/issues
- Card sort in focus groups; start with individual online card sort; discuss individual and aggergated results in group;
- Validation of proposed hierarchy; use tools like TreeJack to test the model of a site/organisation
- Findability testing (FirstClick); test prototype or actual site
- Reserach for facets; use technicues like triading: Present three objects and ask participants which two objects are different from the third onme (and why); can be extended to repertory grid.
- Naming exercises; plain surveys to find labels for proposed categories (after card sort)
- Delphi Card sorting: content model is developed iteratively, starting with a proposed architecture by domain expert, which is then adjusted/developed iteratively by participants