- See how Hafencity is developing with its cost exploding Elbphilharmonie. It’s only a 10 minutes walk from Hauptbahnhof and next to Speicherstadt . In the neighborhood: the impressive Chile Haus.
- Climb up Michel (St Michaelis church tower), the city’s landmark, and get an idea of the city’s layout
- Walk all around the Alster lake in the middle of the city (approx. 90 minutes)
- Take a passenger ferry from St. Pauli Landungsbrücken to Teufelsbrück (You will need to change boat in Finkenwerder). Walk all the way back along the Elbe with plenty of beautiful spots.
- Take a tour in and around Rathaus (city hall); more rooms than buckingham palace?
- Hang out in Schanzenviertel, too trendy to be true … Not far from here: Jimmy Elsass, the best Flammkuchen place in the world./li>
- Have coffee in Cafe Gnosa, enjoy the best cake and the friendliest gays in town
- Visit Kunsthalle (fine arts and contemporary) and Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe (applied arts, photography)
- Fischmarkt, Sunday (very early) morning market
- A night out at Reeperbahn. Aoid big tourist-traps on main road and look for more cosy and loungy places in sidestreets or go to near-by Golden Pudel Club for alternative music and drinks