(For invitations to online user studies:)
- Correct structure: proper header; include a valid ‘from’ address and associated user name and from valid domain; short but descriptive subject line
- Avoid using ‘spammy’ words/phrases like ‘free’, ‘click here’, ‘prize’, ‘money’. Avoid prodiuct bnames associated with spam (eg Rolex); use correct spelling; avoid ALL CAPS and extra punctuation marks !!!
- HTML emails: avoid images; don’t use invisible text; avoid extraneous markup. Include plain text as well.
- Avoid sending to multiple recipients in same company
- Test message with multiple email clients, eg hotmail, gmail, yahoo etc
Albert, Tullis, Tedesco (2010) p.41-2