The “beginning” is how you introduce something new to a person, and how you will get them to understand its value such that they incorporate it into their lives. When you set about designing the beginning, you are forced to consider the following hard questions:
- Where and how will people first hear about your product or feature?
- What should people understand about your product at a glance, and is that compelling enough to convince them to go through the trouble of trying it out?
- What should people’s first-time experience through your product be, and how do you plan to demonstrate to them its value within the first minute?
- How will you build out the social graph, content inventory, marketplace, etc. if the success of your product is dependent on those things?
- What would compel somebody to come back and use your product a second or third time?